When renovating a home to sell when you are the owner-user getting it ready for sale can be a confusing process. This is in part due to so many “gurus” online and TV shows that show a very distorted view of how the value is really derived for the larges population of buyers in any market, at any part of the real estate cycle.
Common mistakes are to change things that will not really affect the re-sale value of the home compared to the cost of those changes/improvements.
Here are the top 5 picks for dollar in to dollars back OUT which is the most important metric that matters!Paint – modern and neutral colors or even white/off-white shades can work amazingly well to make a smaller space seem larger. This item can get you 1-1+ dollars back in value. This really changes the feel of a home that helps the property show in its best light
1. Paint – modern and neutral colors or even white/off-white shades can work amazingly well to make a smaller space seem larger. This item can get you 1-1+ dollars back in value. This really changes the feel of a home that helps the property show in its best light
2. Kitchens – updating an older dated or less functional kitchen will make a huge impact on the re-sale of the home bringing a modern feel and often adding new cupboards/drawers or a pantry will add a lot of value for the investment. This will be a more expensive change, but the time that we spend in the kitchen is huge and having this entertaining and meal-prepping area present the wow factor will help a home sell faster every time
3. Bathrooms – we spend a lot of time in the bathroom and just like a hotel having white towels so that it feels clean, fresh, comfortable having updated flooring, vanities, fixtures, dual-flush water saving toilets will help a home sell faster and for more money. Smaller investment than kitchens, huge impact for the whole family. Ninja trick – add his/hers sinks this will help avoid domestic arguments between kids and parents alike!
4. Flooring – having scratched, stained, old – looking flooring will really drag the price down for the property. Buyer’s know that this can be an expensive change (however done right it does not have to be) and they often don’t want to do it themselves because it is a hassle to have all the floor disrupted while living in a home, trust me I have been there – no fun at all! This change will add a lot of value, hard floors such as vinyl plank are very popular due to the lack of maintenance and durability. Hard wood is still popular in higher end homes – look at the area trends to see if that is the right fit for updated homes in the area.
5. Fixtures – I do not just mean light fixtures! Lighting, door knobs, drawer pulls, hinges, switch covers/outlet covers. Having brass door knobs and art-deco knobs on all the cabinets do create a vintage/dated feel for a home and changing all these elements can be very cost effective, yet have a large impact on the overall feel of a home.
If you have any questions on this or any other real estate topics, contact our team today, all things real estate we are here to help!
To your success,
-respect the hustle